Charlotte man accused of setting girlfriend's home on fire, kill - | WBTV Charlotte

Charlotte man accused of setting girlfriend's home on fire, killing pets, in custody

(Steve Ohnesorge | WBTV) (Steve Ohnesorge | WBTV)
(Steve Ohnesorge | WBTV) (Steve Ohnesorge | WBTV)
Carson (Source: Viewer) Carson (Source: Viewer)

A Charlotte man accused of burning down his girlfriend's home with her pets inside last week has been caught, deputies say. 

Warrants were issued Tuesday for 25-year-old Gregory James Carson III on second-degree arson, assault on a female, cruelty to animals, and second-degree kidnapping.

Authorities say the woman, Angela Griffin, received a call at work from Carson telling her that he set her home on BJ Drive on fire. 

Officials say the couple had been having problems and believe the incident stemmed from a domestic dispute. Neighbors say the woman had a black eye last week.

"I wish that I had never met him," said Angela Griffin. 

She said she had been in a relationship with him for more than a year and, at times, it was rocky. 

"He told me if I tried to leave him he would take everything I loved," Griffin said. 

At her home on July 4, with her daughters staying elsewhere, Griffin says Carson jumped on her and started "pounding me on my face." 

Griffin says Carson tried to hold her down but she was able to escape and go stay elsewhere. The next day she says Carson called her cell phone and told her he had a surprise for her when she got home. 

Minutes later, she says, a neighbor called to say her home was on fire. 

The home was destroyed and her pets, two dogs, a sugar glider, and two fish were all killed. 

Investigators returned to the scene Tuesday, where the following message appeared inside:

"RIP, Cindy, Bella, Diamond, Kermit N Biggy"

The victim said she and her daughters wrote the message in memory of the pets that died in the fire. 

Carson is from Charlotte.

He has continued to call Angela, even telling her at times that he was "watching her," says Griffin. His car was found along Interstate 40 Tuesday morning, but there was no sign of him. 

"I hope he pays for everything he did," she said.

Deputies confirmed Wednesday that Carson was in custody. 

Copyright 2017 WBTV. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly