Presented by Julie Randall, Metro Diner
Metro Diner Huevos Rancheros
- 12 large fried flour tortilla chips (1 large burrito size flour tortilla quartered and fried).
- 1 (15oz) can of seasoned black beans
- 1 Tablespoon of Margarine
- ¼ cup of small diced yellow onion
- ¼ cup of small diced green pepper
- One link or 4 ounces of diced chorizo (dried, not fresh)
- ½ cup of shredded cheddar
- ½ cup of shredded Monterey Jack
- ¼ cup of salsa (your favorite brand)
- ¼ cup of sour cream
- ¼ cup of fried or pickled Jalapeños
- Tablespoon of sliced green onion for garnish
- 4 eggs cook to preference
Recipe for Black Beans:
- Heat ½ tablespoon of margarine in a sauce pan, and sauté onion till soft and starting to color, add green pepper and cook for 4-5 minutes stirring often.
- Add the chorizo and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the black beans and cook for an additional 10 minutes for beans to thicken and soften.
- Line the chips flat with tips out and large part of the chip toward the center of oven proof plate or a casserole dish.
- Using a slotted spoon, cover the large part of the chips with the bean mixture leaving at least ½ of the chip (tip part) exposed.
- Top all the chips and bean mixture with a mix of both cheeses.
- Melt cheese on the chips in a broiler. While cheese melts, cook eggs how you like them in a non-stick pan with ½ tablespoon of margarine.
- Top the chips, beans and cheese with the eggs, then salsa, a good size spoonful of sour cream, green onions and Jalapeno’s.
- To fry the Jalapeno’s: Drain pickled Jalapeno’s and toss in all-purpose flour let sit for one minute then knock off excess and fry in 350-degree oil for 5-6 minutes.