911 call says man acting ‘crazy,’ possibly armed prior to Charlo - | WBTV Charlotte

911 call says man acting ‘crazy,’ possibly armed prior to Charlotte police fatal shooting

(Photo provided to WBTV) (Photo provided to WBTV)
CHARLOTTE, NC (Mark Price/The Charlotte Observer) -

A 911 call made prior to the fatal shooting of a Ukrainian immigrant by Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police shows officers were expecting a suicide threat on March 8 when they arrived at the scene in a north Charlotte neighborhood.

Recordings released Monday show officers were told a white male wearing yellow boots and jeans was “having a mental breakdown,” and searching a home for parts of a rifle gun.

Just under four minutes later, immigrant Iaroslav Mosiiuk, 25, was lying wounded in the 1000 block of Justice Avenue, with a hunting rifle nearby.

RELATED: Man shot and killed by CMPD officer allegedly came at officers with rifle

It was not clear whether he had fired a shot or whether the gun was capable of firing. However, officer Brian Walsh reportedly perceived an “imminent threat” from Mosiiuk’s rifle, leading to the fatal shot, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr.

“I pulled the trigger. I put the shot out. It was me,” Walsh is heard saying in the police recordings.

Mosiiuk was shot after what was apparently a brief pursuit, the recordings suggest. He collapsed in a driveway and was lying on his right side in a fetal position, still moving, when officers closed in. The rifle was “away from him” at that point, officers say in the recordings.

Mosiiuk’s death was the ninth fatal CMPD shooting since January 2015.

Walsh was placed on administrative leave after the shooting, which is standard protocol. He has been an officer with the department since April 17, 2002. CMPD’s Internal Affairs Bureau is conducting a separate investigation to determine whether procedures and policies were followed.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police officials say Mosiiuk pointed a hunting rifle at the officer in the seconds before he was shot and killed. It happened just before 1 p.m. when two officers responded to a potential suicide threat on Justice Avenue, near Statesville and Atando avenues.

One 911 call released by police Tuesday is from a woman believed to be a relative of Mosiiuk, who says she just left the house and that Mosiiuk was there acting “crazy.” She says Mosiiuk hadn’t slept for days and “was trying to grab my boyfriend’s gun. “We hid all the parts of the gun, but – I don’t know – he is searching the house right now,” she says.

She also reports trying to give him medicine.

Asked whether the suspect is having a mental break down or trying to kill himself, the woman says: “I think he’s having a mental breakdown...He’s screaming he doesn’t want to to live.”

Among the guns Mosiiuk was searching for was a rifle had been hidden in a box under a bed, the woman said. “He grabbed the rifle under the bed and he tried to load the magazine. The main part, like, part to it, is hidden. We take it apart, like, hide it.”

Police said they encountered him outside the home and he was shot by Walsh. Mosiiuk was taken to Carolinas Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

He migrated to the U.S. from the Ukraine. His family is trying to raise money to have his body shipped more than 5,000 miles back to their hometown of Kiev, Ukraine, for a funeral.

GoFundMe page seeks to raise $15,000.

“He was a wonderful son, bother and a greatest friend anyone could ever ask for,” said Olesya Mosiyuk Tabaka, who is listed as creating the GoFundMe campaign. “He was the life of the party with a huge kind heart. There was not a person he would not help, he was incredibly smart.”

Andrey Illarionov, who donated to the GoFundMe page, said Iaroslav “had a good heart and was very friendly.”

“I would never thought his life would end like this,” Illarionov said in a post on the GoFundMe page.

It is unclear how long Mosuiik had lived in the United States. He was living with a sibling in Charlotte at the time of his death. He was also known by the first name Yaroslav to some family members.

Neighbors described Moissuk as a friendly person, who was often seen working on his car and willing to help others. He was new to the neighborhood, having recently moved in with his sister, but was not known for displaying erratic or abnormal behavior, neighbors told the Observer.

Mosiiuk’s death was the ninth fatal CMPD shooting since January 2015.

Powered by Frankly