CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Hannah Neikirk from Big View Diner in Charlotte is sharing her recipe for her Chocolate Fudge Cake. It's Kristen Miranda's personal favorite.
Ingredients for the cake:
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup best-quality cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup corn oil
- 1 1/3 cups chilled water
Directions for the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and line the bottom of 2 (8-inch) cake pans.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugars, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl or wide-necked measuring cup whisk together the eggs, sour cream and vanilla until blended.
- Using a standing or handheld electric mixer, beat together the melted butter and corn oil until just blended (you'll need another large bowl for this is using the hand mixer; the standing mixer comes with its own bowl), then beat in the water.
- Add the dry ingredients all at once and mix together on a slow speed. Add the egg mixture, and mix again until everything is blended and then pour into the prepared tins. And actually, you could easily do this manually; I just like my toys and find the stand mixer a comforting presence in itself.
- Bake the cakes for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a cake-tester comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes in their pans on a wire rack for 15 minutes, and then turn the cakes out on the rack to cool completely.