CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Ingredients:
- 18 oz. all purpose flour
- 2 cups egg yolks
- 1 tsp. salt
- Place ingredients in stand mixer with dough hook. Knead until dough is smooth. Wrap dough tightly in plastic and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Roll dough out on floured surface. Cut into desired shape (details below). The pasta can be cooked and eaten that day, or they can be frozen, and thawed and cooked as needed. To cook, boil pasta until they float (fresh or frozen).
- Farfalle:“butterflies”; bow tie shaped pasta great for olive oil and garlic based or cream sauces.
- Orecchiette: “little ears” small round disk with a dimple pressed into it. Great for tomato and seafood sauces.
- Angel Hair: fine strands of pasta. Great as a side dish with olive oil and garlic.
- Pappardelle: “gulp down”; 5/8 inch wide X 10 inches long. Use with tomato and meat ragu.
- Garganelli: square noodle rolled into a tube with a board with ridges. Serve with meat ragu from the Bologna region of Italy.
- Cavatelli: "little hollows”; look like little hot dog buns. Roll a cylinder and cut small pieces. Great with meat ragu.