CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - One of the keys to staying motivated is knowing what makes you overeat.
Do you use food to cope with disappointment, rejection, boredom, or even personal success?
It took me years to realize that I'm an emotional eater – particularly when something is wrong or I'm stressed. Argument with a loved one. Bad day at work. Scale doesn't show the progress you hoped it would. All of those things can drive me to eat.
One you identify your trigger – you can better develop a plan to dealing with it. Brainstorm some healthier ways to cope with mood swings that do not involve food.
One of my go-to coping mechanisms – taking a walk. Even if I'm at work – I get up, and take a quick lap around the parking lot. It doesn't have to be a long one. Anything to move me – physically and eventually mentally out of that space of want to cope by turning to food.
Another option? Call a friend or family member. But make sure it's someone who will talk you down off the ledge. It's probably a good idea to skip the friend that always says " go for it – it's just one brownie" every time you're faced with temptation!
In addition, control your environment to avoid bingeing on high-calorie foods when you do feel disappointed, rejected, or bored. Keep your kitchen stocked with lots of healthy options such as chunks of fruits and veggies, fruit-infused water or sugar-free gum. I have a much better chance of resisting if there's no junk in my house!
That said knowing your triggers doesn't mean you still won't have them. It just means that over time, you'll develop better, healthier habits for dealing with them.
- Day 1: http://tinyurl.com/jex5vuo
- Day 2: http://tinyurl.com/hvpqoxx
- Day 3: http://tinyurl.com/zcdoftc
- Day 4: http://tinyurl.com/hvzz7ze
- Day 5: http://tinyurl.com/zydoa3m
- Day 6: http://tinyurl.com/jrmzexn
- Day 7: http://tinyurl.com/jm5dnqf
- Day 8: http://tinyurl.com/jlhh863
- Day 9: http://tinyurl.com/gmc4nvf
- Day 10: http://tinyurl.com/zop2qyr
- Day 11: http://tinyurl.com/h3da9bs
- Day 12: http://tinyurl.com/h2bw5ea
- Day 13: http://tinyurl.com/zav7wru
- Day 14: http://tinyurl.com/hl5mz35
- Day 15: http://tinyurl.com/h36jpky
- Day 16: http://tinyurl.com/zrh7nwv
- Day 17: http://tinyurl.com/jtuxv59
- Day 18: http://tinyurl.com/glek4pn
- Day 19: http://tinyurl.com/zp7djct
- Day 20: http://tinyurl.com/gv8ov58
- Day 21: http://tinyurl.com/z5jf33s
- Day 22: http://tinyurl.com/zcz7mlp
- Day 23: http://tinyurl.com/hzsj7fj
- Day 24: http://tinyurl.com/h2h4fpb
- Day 25: http://tinyurl.com/hkc5k6b
- Day 26: http://tinyurl.com/gu77yq4