CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - I may be a veteran when it comes to #TeamNOSugar – but that doesn't mean that I don't have the same cravings and weaknesses you do.
I've learned to say no and "remember my why" – but I still want pasta or sweet potatoes or sweet treat from time to time!
Enter, healthy swaps to the rescue!
My top three:
- Spaghetti squash
- Zucchini noodles
- Roasted Butternut squash w caramelized onions
- Honorable mention: a dessert-esque Greek yogurt treat
It's all about tricking your taste buds, folks. About once a month – I go on a bender and have turkey meat sauce over spaghetti squash, instead of pasta all week– especially in the fall and winter months. SO good. Now, it's NOT pasta – let's be clear – but it will give you that similar taste and fullness but without the carb coma that comes with it!
Zucchini noodles were a staple in the beginning, too. I found the hand-held spiralizer you see in the photo at Walgreens. I hear they're also at Walmart! Another way to sub for pasta.
Annnnnnd y'all – let's talk about this roasted butternut squash with caramelized onions. Just discovered that this week! SO good AND a great substitute for sweet potatoes. Seriously. Want the recipe? Hit me up in the comments and I'll get it posted this week!
Lastly, this Greek yogurt 'treat.' Plain, non-fat topped with blueberries, crushed walnuts and drizzled (lightly!) with honey. Yumtastic! Again, TRY IT.
Remember, you can eat GOOD on #teamNOSugar. It's all about thinking outside the box!
- Day 1: http://tinyurl.com/jex5vuo
- Day 2: http://tinyurl.com/hvpqoxx
- Day 3: http://tinyurl.com/zcdoftc
- Day 4: http://tinyurl.com/hvzz7ze
- Day 5: http://tinyurl.com/zydoa3m
- Day 6: http://tinyurl.com/jrmzexn
- Day 7: http://tinyurl.com/jm5dnqf
- Day 8: http://tinyurl.com/jlhh863
- Day 9: http://tinyurl.com/gmc4nvf
- Day 10: http://tinyurl.com/zop2qyr