Homicide investigation underway after man shot, killed in York County

Homicide investigation underway after man shot, killed in York County

YORK COUNTY, SC (WBTV) - A man was found shot and killed at a home in York County Monday, prompting a homicide investigation.

According to deputies, investigators were called to a home along the 700-block of Oleen Cove Road around 10:25 a.m. Monday morning to the report of a shooting. When they arrived, deputies said they found 30-year-old Michael Tyson Dilda dead from a gunshot wound.

Investigators have interviewed a person of interest, but no charges have been filed.

Some of Dilda's family members were leaving the scene Tuesday and were visibly shaken. His parents and another family member are on the way to South Carolina from another state and asked for privacy.

Not many neighbors seemed to know Dilda personally, but many were concerned about violence so close to their homes.

"It's got everybody shook up," said David Youmans, who lives across the street from Oleen Cove Road.

Youmans has lived in the home for more than 20 years and said other than the occasional brush fire, there are hardly ever any sightings of emergency vehicles in their neck of the woods.

He said he didn't hear a shot, but did hear sirens from first responders and deputies.

"An unmarked car came flying out, and at the same time two more went in. That got my curiosity up enough to think, 'well, I'm going to go over there and see what's going on,'" Youmans said.

Youmans didn't know Dilda personally, but was sad to hear of his death.

"Lives matter, it's senseless," Youmans said.

Several neighbors told WBTV that Dilda was renting and moved in about two or three months earlier. The house is off a private drive. Neighbors said people often fire guns in their area of the county, but for hunting or target practice.

"It's just shocking to me that this should happen in this area, because it's quite quiet around here. And being a rental place, we don't know what kind of folks were in there, so that's another undetermined factor," said Ed Berberich, who also lives nearby.

York County deputies continue to talk to the unnamed person of interest. As of Tuesday evening, no charges had been filed.

Detectives are also gathering statements from others who may have information about what happened. A spokesperson for YCSO added that there is no ongoing threat to the public.

Autopsy and toxicology results for Dilda are pending, according to the York County Coroner's Office.

Copyright 2016 WBTV. All rights reserved.