Matthew aftermath leaves 430,000 without power in Carolinas - | WBTV Charlotte

Matthew aftermath leaves 430,000 without power in Carolinas

(Steve Ohnesorge | WBTV) (Steve Ohnesorge | WBTV)
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) -

Hundreds of thousands of homes were still without power Monday morning during the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew. 

Duke Energy says they restored nearly 825,000 outages in the past couple days. There are still around 430,000 outages in the Carolinas, Duke Energy says. That's about  308,000 in North Carolina and  122,000 in South Carolina. 

"Customers in some of the hardest-hit counties might be without power all week," Duke Energy says. "High water in many areas have prevented access and restoration in the hardest-hit area – in addition to flooding electrical facilities."

So far, ten deaths have been reported in the state as a result of Matthew, and at least five people are missing. 

“Flooding, downed trees and power lines have resulted in major power outages to our region, and we have discovered more than 800 broken poles and miles of downed lines – and still counting,” Duke Energy storm director Bobby Simpson said. “We appreciate our customers’ patience as we work to restore outages as quickly and safely as possible.

In some areas, the damage seen is on a scale similar to the destruction of Hurricanes Hugo and Floyd, Duke Energy says.

Customers can call 800-769-3766 to report outages, or text OUT to 57801. Duke Energy says be sure that you're using the phone associated with the customer's account. 

Copyright 2016 WBTV. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly