(WBTV) - Novant Health registered dietician Alice Smith knows mornings are all about routine, but sometimes those routine breakfast foods get boring.
Here are her ideas of how to mix up your morning breakfast routine with quick and easy recipes that are low in sugar.
- 12 eggs
- ½ cup chopped bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- ½ cup chopped onions
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a muffin tin that will hold 12 muffins.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl. Stir in onion, peppers, spinach, and cheese. Spoon evenly into muffin cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Keep in refrigerator or freeze.
*The amount of eggs you use will determine how many muffins you make.
No bake 5-Ingredient Granola Bars (Makes approximately 10 bars. Can freeze.)
- 1 cup packed pitted dates
- 3 Tbsp Honey
- 1/3 cup peanut or almond butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- Optional: cinnamon, unsweetened dried fruit, coconut flakes, chocolate chips, etc.
- Put dates into food processor/blender until it forms a dough-like consistency.
- Place oats, nuts, and dates in a bowl (optional- cinnamon and unsweetened cranberries). Set aside.
- Warm honey and peanut/almond butter on stovetop over low heat or in the microwave for 15 seconds.
- Stir and pour over oat mixture and then mix, breaking up the dates to evenly mix all ingredients.
- Once mixed, transfer to an 8x8 baking dish lined with plastic wrap so they can lift out easily.
- You can leave in the refrigerator an hour or overnight then cut into squares.
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk or 1% milk
- ¼ cup old fashioned oats
- 1 banana
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup frozen strawberries
- ½ cup frozen blueberries (can use fresh berries, just add more ice)
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- Handful of ice
- Handful of spinach (optional)
Combine all ingredients in blender and mix until smooth. More ice can be added for a thicker consistency. (I highly recommend adding a handful of spinach to mixture before blending. You can't taste it!) Enjoy!
Optional ingredients: spinach, vanilla extract, cinnamon, peanut/almond butter, cocoa powder, avocado, etc.