CMPD releases 911 call, police radio traffic from Keith Lamont Scott shooting

CMPD releases 911 call, police radio traffic from Keith Lamont Scott shooting

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police have released several minutes of 911 calls and police radio traffic from the day Keith Lamont Scott was shot and killed in northeast Charlotte.

The shooting happened last Tuesday at The Village at College Downs apartment complex on Old Concord Road.

CMPD says plainclothes officers were in the area to serve a warrant on another person when they encountered Scott. That encounter ended in Scott being shot and killed.

Following the shooting, Charlotte has seen multiple days of protests and marches, violent protesting and even some rioting in uptown Charlotte.

Dozens of police officers have been injured in the incidents and dozens of protesters have been arrested. One man was killed when he was shot during a protest, reportedly by another protester, last Wednesday night.

Friday afternoon, the family of Keith Lamont Scott released a nearly two-and-a-half minute long video showing part of the encounter between Scott and police.

Rakeiya Scott repeatedly told officers Scott was not armed and pleaded with them not to shoot as they shout commands to drop a gun. The video does not show the shooting, though gunshots can be heard.

Saturday afternoon, CMPD held a press conference and released dash-cam and body camera video, as well as previously unreleased photos and information about what led to the incident with Scott.

Scott's family has said he did not own a gun, but police said they recovered a gun at the scene of the shooting.

Friday, a police source confirmed to WBTV that a gun reportedly found near the body of Keith Lamont Scott has Scott's fingerprints, DNA and blood on it.

The gun, sources later told WBTV, was reportedly stolen in a residential breaking and entering. The sources said the man accused of stealing the gun was interviewed and is on record stating he sold the gun to Scott.

RELATED: Sources: Gun recovered in Keith Lamont Scott case reported stolen

At Saturday's press conference, Putney said Scott was "absolutely in possession of a handgun."

In a press release that included the videos and pictures, police said officers were at the apartment complex to serve a warrant unrelated to Scott. They said Scott pulled into the parking lot and parked beside the unmarked police vehicle officers were in, then began rolling what they believed to be a marijuana "blunt."

He said initially officers weren't going to approach Scott, but they reportedly saw him hold up a gun.

"Hey Miranda roll back to uh this apartment complex behind you," an officer can be heard saying in the radio traffic released Thursday. "Um there was a guy that was parked next to us that was rolling, rolling a joint and had a gun."

"Due to the combination of illegal drugs and the gun Mr. Scott had in his possession, officers decided to take enforcement action for public safety concerns," a release from police read.

When they returned, the report states, officers saw Scott in possession of a gun for the second time. The officers then identified themselves as police officers and "gave clear, loud and repeated verbal commands to drop the gun." They said Scott refused to follow those commands.

That's when an officer in uniform and in a marked vehicle arrived to assist, and "utilized his baton to attempt to breach the front passenger window in an effort to arrest" Scott. This is the vehicle police said the dash-cam video was recorded from.

The release states Scott then got out of the vehicle with the gun and "backed away from the vehicle while continuing to ignore officers' repeated loud verbal commands to drop the gun."

"Officer Vinson perceived Mr. Scott's actions and movements as an imminent physical threat to himself and the other officers. Officer Vinson fired his issued service weapon, striking Mr. Scott," the release states. "Officers immediately rendered first aid and requested Medic to respond to the scene."

The video released by CMPD shows just over a minute of body camera video and two-plus minutes of dash camera video. Protesters, activists and groups have called for CMPD to release the entire, unedited video.

An attorney for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department refused a WBTV request Wednesday to release the remaining video captured by body cameras and dash cameras at the scene.

The attorney for CMPD told an attorney representing a media coalition that the requesting was being denied because the department believes the video meets the definition of a criminal investigation record which, under the law, is not a public record.

The North Carolina Public Records Act, specifically N.C.G.S. 132-1.4(c)(3), makes public records documenting the circumstances surround an arrest public.

Although CMPD continues to deny the public full access to video of the scene following Scott's shooting, CMPD attorney Judith Emken did provide additional details about what is in the video that is being withheld.

Emken said she believes there was not any video recorded prior to the two-minute portion of either the body-worn camera or dash camera video that was released on Saturday. Both cameras belonged to the same police officer.

The body cam video totals 16 minutes, meaning 14 minutes of video has not been made public.

Emken said that portion of the body cam video shows personnel performing CPR and was not released because it is 'very violent' and bloody. She said it consists of the groaning and 'gurgling sounds of a dying man's last breaths.' That portion of the video, she said, was also not shown to the Scott family.

RELATED: CMPD attorney: Unreleased footage from Keith Scott shooting 'very violent', bloody

Emken said the dash cam recorded a total of one hour and fifteen minutes of video. She said the portion of the video not released to the public just shows people milling around the scene and does not show anything relevant to the shooting.

It remains unclear whether the remaining portion of either video shows a gun.

A total of 52 officers responded to the scene, Emken said, and all were wearing body cams or had dash cams. But Emken said all cameras were turned off as officers arrived at the scene.

Copyright 2016 WBTV. All rights reserved.