Keith Scott's wife has filed multiple restraining orders against - | WBTV Charlotte

Keith Scott's wife has filed multiple restraining orders against him

(Source: Family of Keith Lamont Scott) (Source: Family of Keith Lamont Scott)

The wife of Keith Lamont Scott filed multiple restraining orders against her husband and in one she warned law enforcement that her husband should be considered a threat because he carried a 9-millimeter gun.

Scott was shot and killed by a Charlotte police officer on Sept. 20, sparking unrest in Charlotte. 

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department released videos of the fatal encounter between Scott and police following pressure from the public and Scott's family to release the tapes

The question over whether Scott had a gun at the time has been the center of debate between police and Scott's family. Scott's family has said he did not own a gun, but police said they recovered a gun at the scene of the shooting.

WBTV has uncovered two separate restraining orders that Keith Scott's wife, Rakeyia, has filed against him since 2004.

The first was filed in Mecklenburg County in April 2004.

According to court documents, Rakeyia Scott said Keith Scott "assaulted me several times by stabbing me in the back, almost puncturing my lungs, he sliced me [sic] ear and bruised my body."

The incident reportedly happened in an apartment the couple and their children shared along Paces Glen Avenue in east Charlotte.

According to the paperwork, Scott had a pattern of prior conduct which included making threats to seriously injure or kill Rakeyia and had inflicted serious injuries against her. She didn't check the boxes indicating that she believed the couple's children to be in danger.

According to court documents obtained by WBTV, he was extradited to Texas later that year to face charges after he shot and injured a man in San Antonio, Texas in 2002.

Scott was convicted of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. He fired more than 10 rounds from a 9-millimeter pistol during the incident, a spokesman for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice confirmed to WBTV's newspaper partner The Charlotte Observer.

He was sentenced to seven years in prison for the assault and for subsequently trying to evade arrest. He was booked in prison in August 2005. Documents show that he unsuccessfully petitioned the court for a sentence reduction, arguing that he was acting in self defense and trying to protect his family.

In October 2015, Scott's wife, Rakeyia, filed for a second restraining order against him - this time in Gaston County. In her petition, she said that law enforcement officials should consider her husband a potential threat because he carried a 9-millimeter gun.

In the court document, Rakeyia Scott said her husband kicked her and hit her 8-year-old in the head three times with a fist on October 2, 2015. He also reportedly threatened to kill her with his gun and was violent to her in front of the children.

"He kicked me and threaten [sic] to kill us last night with his gun," Rakeyia Scott wrote in the documents. "He said he is a 'killer' and we should know that."

When she wrote about the 9mm gun that he reportedly threatened her with, she wrote that he "does not have a permit, he is a felon."

Two weeks later, Rakeyia Scott signed new papers saying Keith Scott was "no longer a threat to me and my family."

At the time of the restraining order, Scott worked security at the Gaston County Mall, according to the court documents.

Multiple sources confirmed to WBTV Monday that the gun police say was found Scott's possession when he was fatally shot by a Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police (CMPD) officer was reported stolen.

The gun, sources said, was reportedly stolen in a residential breaking and entering. The sources said the man accused of stealing the gun was interviewed and is on record stating he sold the gun to Scott.

Police have not released any information about the man accused of stealing the gun and selling it to Scott.

Sources: Gun recovered in Keith Lamont Scott case reported stolen

Scott, 43, was killed while police were serving a warrant at The Village at College Downs apartment complex on Old Concord Road, in northeast Charlotte. His death sparked protesting across the city, erupting into violence.

Friday, a police source confirmed to WBTV that the gun reportedly found near the body of Keith Lamont Scott has Scott's fingerprints, DNA and blood on it. The source also told WBTV the case in the gun was loaded.

RELATED: Police source: Gun found near Keith Scott's body had his fingerprints, DNA on it

In a press release that included the videos and pictures, police said officers were at the apartment complex to serve a warrant unrelated to Scott. They said Scott pulled into the parking lot and parked beside the unmarked police vehicle officers were in, then began rolling what they believed to be a marijuana "blunt."

"Officers did not consider Mr. Scott’s drug activity to be a priority at the time and they resumed the warrant operation," the release states. "A short time later, Officer Vinson observed Mr. Scott hold a gun up."

"Due to the combination of illegal drugs and the gun Mr. Scott had in his possession, officers decided to take enforcement action for public safety concerns," the release continued. "Officers departed the immediate area to outfit themselves with marked duty vests and equipment that would clearly identify them as police officers."

RELATED: Family, police see different tale in same videos

When they returned, the report states, officers saw Scott in possession of a gun for the second time. The officers then identified themselves as police officers and "gave clear, loud and repeated verbal commands to drop the gun." They said Scott refused to follow those commands.

That's when an officer in uniform and in a marked vehicle arrived to assist, and "utilized his baton to attempt to breach the front passenger window in an effort to arrest" Scott. This is the vehicle police said the dash-cam video was recorded from.

The release states Scott then got out of the vehicle with the gun and "backed away from the vehicle while continuing to ignore officers' repeated loud verbal commands to drop the gun."

"Officer Vinson perceived Mr. Scott’s actions and movements as an imminent physical threat to himself and the other officers. Officer Vinson fired his issued service weapon, striking Mr. Scott," the release states. "Officers immediately rendered first aid and requested Medic to respond to the scene."

Putney said his department is not pressing charges against Vinson.

Copyright 2016 WBTV. The Charlotte Observer contributed to this report. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly