Third night of protests in uptown Charlotte remain mostly peacef - | WBTV Charlotte

Third night of protests in uptown Charlotte remain mostly peaceful

(John Sparks | WBTV) (John Sparks | WBTV)
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) -

Thursday night protests in uptown Charlotte remained mostly peaceful as demonstrators took to the streets for the third night in a row after the death of Keith Lamont Scott, who was shot and killed by a Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police (CMPD) officer Tuesday.

A curfew was issued around 9:15 p.m., just after large groups began gathering in various locations around the Queen City. The curfew, which lasted from midnight to 6 a.m., will be in place every day until the State of Emergency is lifted or the official proclamation is revoked.

Officials said the order was put into place "in order to more effectively protect the lives and property of the people within the City of Charlotte."

It is active "within the corporate limits of the City of Charlotte to prohibit travel upon any public street, alley, or roadway or upon any other public property, except by those in search of medical assistance , food or other commodity or service necessary to sustain the well­being of themselves or their families or some other member."

Exemptions for the order include:

  • Law enforcement officers, firefighters and other public employees
  • Doctors, nurses, employees of hospitals and medical facilities
  • On-duty military personnel, whether state or federal
  • On-duty employees of public utilities, public transportation companies, and newspaper, magazine, radio broadcasting, and television broadcasting corporations operated for profit
  • Such other classes of person as may be essential to the preservation of public order and immediately necessary to serve the safety, health, and welfare needs of the people within the city.

The City of Charlotte also set up a section on the city's website with frequently asked questions and answers about the curfew. You can find that page here.

The protests began peacefully around 8 p.m. at Romare Bearden Park before the crowds began moving through uptown. Some carried signs that read "Black Lives Matter" and "End Police Terror," among other messages.

MOBILE USERS CLICK HERE FOR PHOTOS FROM THE 3RD NIGHT OF PROTESTS

The National Guard was called to Charlotte after a State of Emergency was declared by both NC Governor Pat McCrory and Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts when protests turned violent on both Tuesday and Wednesday night.

CMPD officers took to the streets in riot gear Thursday just as they did during Wednesday's protests, when agitators turned violent by breaking windows, setting fires and even assaulting people. At several points throughout those protests, tear gas and flash grenades were deployed.

One man, 26-year-old Justin Carr, was shot in the head by another citizen during Wednesday's protest. He was pronounced deceased at a Charlotte-area hospital on Thursday.

RELATED: Man shot during Keith Scott protest in Charlotte has died

By Thursday evening, more than 50 arrests had been made in connection to the violence and destruction, but police said they were still investigating Carr's death.

During Thursday's protests however, things had taken a noticeable turn for the better. Many protesters were seen shaking officers' hands and talking calmly about social issues. 

At one point, a line of protesters and police alike took turns thanking National Guard troops with handshakes and even hugs. 

Around 11:30 p.m. police said that no injuries had been reported. They retracted that news 30 minutes later, tweeting that two officers were being treated after being sprayed with a chemical agent by demonstrators. 

Police did not release the officers' names or say what the chemical may have been.

The protests were in response to 43-year-old Scott's death. Officials said CMPD officer Brentley Vinson shot and killed Scott at Village at College Downs apartment complex Tuesday. Both Scott and Vinson are African American men.

RELATED: Charlotte faces unrest after deadly police shooting

Officers were at the complex to serve a warrant unrelated to Scott. Police said Scott got out of a vehicle with a firearm and "posed an imminent deadly threat" to the officers, at which point Officer Vinson reportedly fired his service weapon.

Scott's family has said that he had a book, not a gun, while waiting on his son to get off the bus from school. Members of the family took to social media soon after the shooting with their side of the story.

The case has since gained national attention.

CLICK HERE FOR FULL COVERAGE OF THE KEITH LAMONT SCOTT CASE

Copyright 2016 WBTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly