Registered Dietician and founder of Betsy's Best, Betsy Opty, dropped by WBTV's studios to share some of her favorite recipes. These are items you may not associate with being healthy, but Betsy has put a twist on them to make them better for you.
Betsy's recipes are simple and taste like a treat without the guilt.
White bean dip
Betsy's inspiration behind the bean dip was to create a healthier dip for fruit. Most fruit dips are loaded with sugar and too sweet. This bean dip is loaded with protein, fiber and flavor. It has a nice caramel meets cinnamon taste and pairs well not only with fruit but carrots and celery too!
Combine the following ingredients in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
- 2 cups white beans (navy, northern, or garbanzo work best)
- 1/2 cup Betsy's Best Gourmet Peanut Butter (or substitute with Betsy's Best Almond or Seed Butter)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey (or maple syrup)
- Pinch sea salt
Asparagus in a Blanket
Betsy is always looking for a veggie twist to any dish. Who needs all the fat and calories in a pigs in a blanket when you can wrap up a healthier appetizer? This one is super easy to make and has a beautiful plate presentation. I always have requests for this recipe after serving at a party. A real fan favorite!
- 1 bunch Asparagus, boiled for 3 min
- 1/2 lb. low-sodium nitrate-free ham (or turkey)
- 1/2 cup Betsy’s Best Gourmet Peanut, Almond or Seed Butter
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2-3 Tbsp almond milk (or more to thin)
- 1 bunch chives
- In a blender or food processor, add Betsy’s Best, nutritional yeast, hemp seeds and sea salt. Process until it forms nut butter consistency. Gradually add almond milk to thin until reaching a cream cheese consistency.
- To make the asparagus roll, cut slice of ham/turkey in half. Place dab of Betsy's mix on each end of the ham/turkey. Set a few asparagus on one end of the ham/turkey and roll towards the other end of the ham/turkey. Tie strand of chive around roll to secure.
Betsy's Best Brownie recipe (Makes 12 squares)
You had us at chocolate! We all want the decadent dessert but without the guilt. Well now you can have both! This is a gluten free version of a moist rich brownie that only has 2 T of sugar and is loaded with healthy almond butter with chia seeds. You might want to double this recipe because they go quick!
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 C honey
- 2 T granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 C Betsy’s Best Gourmet Almond Butter
- 6 T cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda\1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 C chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line an 8 x 8-inch square baking dish with parchment paper. Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, whip eggs, sugar, honey and vanilla until blended. Beat in Betsy’s Best almond butter until well combined and smooth. Stir in cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Fold in chocolate chips/chunks.
- Spread brownie mixture evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30–35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.