During a hurricane or tropical storm, it is critical that you and your family follow instructions issued by local officials and leave immediately if told to do so.
WBTV will air emergency information during a weather emergency and that information will also be found on WBTV.com and in our free WBTV Weather App. You can also watch live coverage from WBTV News on your mobile device if the power goes out.
Here are additional tips to surviving a hurricane:
- Stay inside a well-constructed building.
- Turn off utilities
- Fill a bathtub and large containers with water.
- Stay away from windows and doors.
- Take refuge in a small interior first-floor room, closet, hallway or basement if available.
- Close all interior doors and brace exterior doors if possible.
- Lie on the floor under a table or another sturdy object.
- Be aware of the eye of the storm: if an eye passes over your neighborhood, it will only be calm for a short period of time.
- Remain indoors.
- Be alert and remain calm. It may take several hours for the storm to pass. Hurricanes often spawn tornadoes.