(WBTV) - Poached Farm Egg with Root Vegetables, Maitake Mushrooms, and Root Juice
Recipe by: Larry Schreiber, Executive Chef
- 1 rutabaga
- 1 celery root
- 2 Parsnips
- 2 Carrots
- 1 cup cream
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 large red beet
- 1 apple
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¼ pound maitake mushrooms (substitute any mushrooms if maitake aren’t available)
- 4 Eggs
- ¼ cup distilled or cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Peel all root vegetables, keeping beet and carrot separate
- Small dice the white vegetables keeping all the scraps for you to puree.
- Boil the scraps in water until tender. Strain, then put in pot with heavy cream. Bring to a boil. Puree in blender, food processor or hand blender until smooth. Taste for seasoning.
- Small dice the carrot and add to the other diced vegetables, keeping the scraps for juice.
- Juice the carrot scraps with the beet and the apple, then blend with a little salt and xanthan gum.
- Sauté the maitake mushrooms with a quarter of the butter and olive oil. Check seasoning.
- Sauté the diced root vegetables with the rest of the oil and butter. Check seasoning.
- In a wide pot, bring 3 quarts water and the vinegar to a simmer. Crack eggs into separate bowls. Stir the water then add eggs one by one into the pot. Simmer till whites are set (about 30 seconds). Pull out with a slotted spoon and dab on a towel.
- Plate the dish, placing farm egg over root juice, root vegetables and mushrooms (in that order). Enjoy!