CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - If you've ever used Spotify, even if you haven't used it lately, you might want to change your password.
A list containing hundreds of Spotify account credentials was found on the web. More than just account names, WBTV Cyber Expert Theresa Payton says, the list included emails, usernames, passwords, account type, and country.
While normally this would be considered a breach, Payton says Spotify does not believe it had a breach.
"Until we know more about who stole this information and from where, I want to alert you so you can better protect yourself," Payton said.
Her advice follows:
If you have a situation where:
1. You see songs added to your saved songs list or recently played list that you didn't add - you might have someone using your account
2. You get an email saying you changed your email address on your account & you didn't change it, react quickly by contacting Spotify directly (never through an email link)
Steps to take now:
1. Ask loved ones if any of them has EVER had a Spotify account
2. Reset the account immediately
3. If the email address and password are used on other accounts (social media, banking, etc.) get new email addresses and passwords set up for those accounts.