Presented by Chef Ashleigh Easterling, The Green Bunny LLC
Mini Baja Fish Tacos with Mini Pineapple Margaritas
• 1 cup diced peeled ripe mango
• 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
• 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 lime for every appetizer for garnish
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
• 5 cups canola oil
• 3.38 ounces all-purpose flour (about 3/4 cup)
• 1 cup beer
• 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 1/2 pounds skinless halibut fillet, cut into 16 (3 x 1–inch) strips
• 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas - use a cookie cutter and cut 3-5 mini tortillas out of 1 tortilla.
1. Combine first 6 ingredients; set aside.
2. Clip a fry thermometer to the side of a large, heavy saucepan. Add oil to pan; heat over medium-high heat until thermometer registers 375°. Reduce heat to medium, maintaining oil temperature.
3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, beer, black pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, and garlic powder, stirring with a whisk. Add fish to batter, tossing gently to coat. Remove fish from batter. Carefully add 4 or 5 fish pieces to hot oil; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown and done, turning occasionally (maintain oil temperature at 375° throughout cooking process). Drain fish on paper towels. Repeat procedure in batches with remaining fish.
4. Cut a slit into the top of each lime so that you can fold the mini tortilla into the top of the lime. Slice the bottom of the lime, so that it sits upright on the plate.
5. Divide fish evenly among tortillas; spoon about 2 tablespoons salsa into each tortilla.
2 cups lime juice, about 20 limes 2 cups white tequila - to make the individual servings like on the show - purchase mini bottles of your favorite tequila 2 cups Triple Sec 2 1/2 cups fresh pineapple juice Fresh pineapple slices, for garnish
Small funnel (optional).
Combine the lime juice, tequila, Triple Sec, and pineapple juice. Fill a cocktail shaker 1/2-way with ice and fill 2/3 full with the margarita mixture. Shake for 30 seconds and pour back into the mini bottles with a funnel.
Decorate with fresh pineapple slices and straw, serve ice cold.