Cast Iron Cooking
Robert Adler, Ernie's Smokehouse BBQ
Cast Iron Skillet Brined Chicken
1. 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
2. 6 cups water
3. 1 cup apple cider
4. ¼ cup coarse Kosher salt
5. ¼ cup favorite honey
6. 2 tbsp. onion powder on yellow onion quartered
7. 2 tbsp. sugar
8. 1 tsp. pepper
9. 4 cloves crushed garlic
10. 6-8 sprigs fresh rosemary
1. Combine water, sugar, salt and pepper, boil and let cool to room temperature or add 1-2 cups of ice to speed up. Add additional ingredients.
2. Trim excess fat off chicken and place in non-reactive bucket or container with lid, pour brine over and let marinate overnight or at least 6 hours. Turn chicken in the brine 1-2 times.
3. Remove chicken from brine 1-2 hours before grilling, pat dry with paper towel and return to refrigerator on a rack and let air dry.
1. Preheat grill to 325 degrees with skillet on the grill, at least 15 minutes.
2. If your grill will allow a smoker box pre-soak apple, pecan or favorite chips for 4+ hours in white wine, apple juice, Jack Daniels, or favorite liquid. Turn grill on high to get wood chips smoking then turn down to 325.
3. Rub chicken with canola or peanut oil and sprinkle with pepper. Pour a little oil and chicken broth in the bottom of the skillet and place chicken in.
4. Place breast side up and cook for at least 1.5 hours until breast reaches 165 degrees and thigh
When done place on platter and let sit for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
Cast Iron Skillet Berry Crumble
Serves: 6 servings
1. 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2. 1/2 cup light brown sugar
3. 1/4 cup granulated sugar
4. 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
5. 1 pinch salt
6. 1/2 cup oats
7. 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
8. 4 cups mixed berries
9. 1/2 cup granulated sugar
10. 2 tablespoons cornstarch
11. Equipment: small cast iron skillets
1. Preheat grill to 350 degrees
2. If adding smoke soak wood chips ahead of time, turn grill on high until you see smoke, turn down to 350 degrees and wait to put skillet on until it gets to that temperature.
3. In a large bowl combine flour, brown sugar, 1/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, salt and oats. Using a pastry blender, a fork or your hands cut in butter. Keep cold until ready to use.
4. In a large bowl combine berries, 1/2 cup sugar, and cornstarch; toss to coat. Evenly divide the fruit mixture between the 6 ramekins. Top with crumble topping. Bake until top is golden and fruit is bubbly, about 35 minutes.
5. Serve warm and top with ice cream