CHARLOTTE, NC (Jonathan Jones and Joseph Person/The Charlotte Observer) - Less than a week after being cut by the Carolina Panthers, Charles Johnson will rejoin the only NFL team he's played for.
According to a league source Tuesday night, Johnson plans to re-sign with the Panthers this week after the team cut him in an effort to save $11 million in cap room.
ESPN first reported that Johnson would be back. The source said Johnson's one-year contract is worth $3 million.
Johnson, a nine-year veteran, signed a six-year contract in 2011 worth $76 million. This would have been the final year of that deal, which would have cost $15 million against the salary cap.
The Panthers cut him last week and thanked him for his services, clearing the cap room. But even in the hours after Johnson's cut, those close to him wouldn't rule out a return to the Panthers with a smaller contract.
Johnson met with the New York Giants over the weekend and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Tuesday. Johnson told ESPN reporter Josina Anderson that he was close to signing in New York.
According to a league source, Johnson turned down an offer of $6 million from at least one other team to stay in Charlotte.
"It's not about the money," Johnson told ESPN. "Carolina is home and I wouldn't have been happy if I went somewhere else."
Johnson is second in franchise history in sacks (63 1/2) and forced fumbles (17). After being relatively healthy his entire career, Johnson suffered a hamstring injury that sent him to the temporary injured reserve during the 2015 season.
He appeared in nine regular-season games and had just one sack, though he registered three sacks in three postseason games.
The news of Johnson re-signing in Carolina came on a day when some of the top free-agent defensive ends—Malik Jackson, Jason Pierre-Paul and Mario Williams—were locked into deals, though the Panthers weren't in the running for any of them.