February is American Heart Month, so Lori Pratt of Weight Watchers stopped by WBTV to talk about how the new Weight Watchers food plan, SmartPoints, can help you incorporate heart-friendly foods into an overall healthy diet.
SmartPoints not only assigns a single number to each food, which makes translating complex nutritional information easier, but the plan focuses on a pattern of eating that includes more lean protein, fruits and vegetables, and less sugar and saturated fat – which is known to have heart health benefits.
1⁄2 cup uncooked red onion, minced
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
15 oz canned white beans, rinsed and drained
1 avocado, peeled and chopped
1⁄4 cup plum tomatoes, finely diced
2 Tbsp cilantro
1 clove garlic, minced
1⁄2 tsp table salt
1⁄2 tsp hot pepper sauce
1⁄4 tsp ground cumin
1) In a small bowl, combine onion and lime juice; let stand 15 minutes.
2) In a food processor, puree beans and avocado. Add the tomato, cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper sauce, cumin and the onion mixture, pulse until blended. Transfer to a serving dish and refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.
Serving size: 1/3 c
Carrot-Coconut Oatmeal Cookies
¾ cup whole wheat flour
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
½ cup packed light brown sugar
¼ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
2 tablespoons plain, low-fat yogurt
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup finely shredded carrot
½ cup unsweetened flaked coconut
¼ cu chopped toasted walnuts
¼ cup golden raisins
1) Place oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
2) Whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and ginger in medium bowl. Whisk together brown sugar, oil, yogurt, egg, and vanilla in large bowl. Add flour mixture, oats, carrot, coconut, walnuts, and raisins to brown-sugar mixture and stir to combine.
3) Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets. Flatten each cookie slightly. Bake until golden brown on bottom, 12-14 minutes, switching and rotating baking sheets halfway through baking time. Cool on baking sheets on wire racks 1 minute. With spatula, transfer cookies to racks and cool completely. Store in airtight container up to 3 days.