Dog dies, woman saved by smoke detector in west Charlotte house - | WBTV Charlotte

Dog dies, woman saved by smoke detector in west Charlotte house fire

(Mark Davenport | WBTV) (Mark Davenport | WBTV)
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) -

A woman escaped thick smoke and fire in her west Charlotte home thanks to a smoke detector early Monday morning.

The woman's small dog died in the fire.

Fire officials went to the fire call on Royston Road just after 2 a.m. When they got on scene the found heavy smoke coming from the home.

Officials said the woman who lived in the home was taken to the hospital as a precaution. 

The Charlotte Fire Department said the fire sparked in the kitchen after cooking materials were left unattended. The fire grew from there.

Officials say the home is most likely a totally loss.

Family members who live nearby said the woman will be OK but the death of her pet will be painful.

Firefighters were on scene for more than two hours clearing charred furniture and debris from the home after the fire was put out.

Copyright 2016 WBTV. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly