Recipe courtesy: Robert 'Ernie" Adler of Ernie's Smokehouse. Click here to put in your Thanksgiving order.
Grilled Turkey in a Seasonal Brine
· 2 quarts apple juice or cider
· 1 lb. light brown sugar
· 3/4 cup coarse Kosher Sale
· 3 quarts water
· 3 oranges quarters
· 4 ounces ginger (fresh peeled thin or 2 oz. powder)
· 15 whole cloves
· 6 bay leaves
· 6 garlic cloves crushed
· Heat apple juice with brown sugar and salt to dissolve, let cool.
· Purchase food grade paint bucket and lid (available at hardware stores)
· Clean turkey and place in bucket with all above ingredients (squeeze oranges), cover tightly, place in refrigerator for 12-24 hours.
· After that time take out of bucket, place on roasting rack, and return to refrigerator uncovered overnight.