Man charged with shooting Charlotte mom during B&E has record - | WBTV Charlotte

Man charged with shooting Charlotte mom during B&E has record

Reco Dawkins (Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Office) Reco Dawkins (Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Office)
Hollie Ritchie and Semantha Bunce Hollie Ritchie and Semantha Bunce
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) -

People continue to support a Charlotte Army National Guard combat medic who was injured during a shooting in the stairwell of her home.

Semantha Bunce is recovering in the hospital from the shooting last week.

Her husband said 21-year-old Bunce was feeding her baby just before 10 a.m. Tuesday when intruders knocked on the front door of her Matlea Court home, rang the doorbell and then kicked in the door. 

Bunce was shot several times and is recovering in the hospital. The baby wasn't injured.

Bunce's friend and fellow soldier in the National Guard, Hollie Ritchie, told WBTV she's proud of the way her friend then defended herself and her child.

"Instinct cut in with her immediately. She set her son down. She grabbed the gun," Ritchie said. "She knew immediately what to do, and how to do it. It's like she had it planned in her mind - if this ever happens this is what I'm going to do. This is going to be my reaction. She has so much instinct. I'm so proud of her."

Since then, Ritchie has raised over $30,000 for Bunce.

"When we were sitting in the hospital I showed it to her.  She was overwhelmed with joy, she wants to go out and thank everybody personally," Ritchie said, "We had people donating from current deployments, they're in the Middle East right now. All the way over to Alaska and everywhere in between."

WEB EXTRA: Click here for the GoFundMe page

Ritchie visited Bunce in the hospital on Sunday and says the family was ecstatic to learn CMPD had made one arrest in the case.  

"She was overwhelmed with joy.  She could not be happier that this guy was finally in custody and that he would not do anymore harm to anybody like he had done to her," Ritchie said. 

Police say Reco Dawkins turned himself in on Sunday. The 23 year-old is being charged with attempted murder, felony breaking and entering, and conspiracy to commit felony breaking and entering.

This isn't Dawkins' first time being charged with a crime.

Records from the North Carolina Department of Public Safety show Dawkins spent five months in Polk Correctional Institute in Butner in 2011. That time was due to a felony breaking and entering charge.

Also, last year, Dawkins was picked up by officers.  According to police records he was arrested in June, July and August for various breaking and entering and attempted breaking and entering charges.

The victim in the June case said Dawkins did not get away with anything. The man said he wasn't home at the time of the attempted break-in.

His neighbor called police while the crime was in progress. Prosecutors dropped the charges, the victim told WBTV.

When he learned that police believe the same man who tried to break into his home is the same person police say brokaye into Semantha Bunce's home and shot her he said that's too bad.

He said maybe this wouldn't have happened if prosecutors pursued his case.

"I hope this guys learns that he can't do this people and it's not right and it's not ok at all. I hope nobody has to suffer again or go through what he has made her go through," Ritchie said.  

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call 704-432-TIPS and speak directly to a Homicide Unit Detective.  Detective Fitch is the lead detective assigned to the case.

Copyright 2015 WBTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly