CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Your past may be coming back to haunt you.
Facebook has changed how people can search all of your posts, even the really old ones. However, you can turn back the clock.
WBTV Cyber Expert, and CEO of Fortalice Solutions Theresa Payton, says Facebook tweaked the software it uses to power searches. Now roughly 2 trillion older posts will be added to the Facebook search profile. Facebook says it is an effort to give you the most recent, relevant public posts along with posts from your friends. The search results are no longer just limited to groups, events and locations, Payton says, but are now opened up to also search individual public posts.
This new feature lets anyone search a post from any public profile, regardless if you are Facebook "friends" with that person.
There are still ways to take back your privacy. Payton's recommendations follow:
Tips to choose your privacy level
1. If you are an original user, chances are you have forgotten about your old posts
2. You can turn back the hands of time with a few easy steps. Click on the icon that looks like a lock at the top right hand side of the screen for Facebook
3. Choose, 'See More Settings' at the bottom of the pop-up menu
4. Look at the section 'Who can see my stuff?' for the setting to 'Limit Past Posts'
5. Last step - click on this to make old posts visible to 'Friends Only'