Man charged with murder after woman found dead inside Charlotte home

Man charged with murdering Sarah Acker

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - A 42-year-old man, recently released from state prison, has been charged with killing with the woman he was dating.

According to police, officers were called to a home along the 300-block of State Street around 12:53 p.m. Wednesday.

Officers say they were called to the home to do a welfare check. Sarah Acker's daughter couldn't get her on the phone.

"She came over earlier," said Michael Acker, the victim's former husband. "She couldn't reach her mother last night. And she couldn't reach her mother this morning."

When Sarah Acker didn't answer the door, her daughter called 911. Emergency crews went inside the house and found the 53-year-old woman had died. Police say she was murdered.

"I'm hurt because my mom.. my mom was very loving," her daughter Shun Mangum said. "And she didn't deserve it.  So I'm hurt this would even happen to her."

Michael Acker said "one of the detectives told me she was not shot, she was not stabbed, he said. So I asked – I said – did she have any bruises on her. He was like I can't disclose that."

Lt Spencer Cochran said "there's no signs – no obvious signs of trauma" but investigators said Jerry Hunter was charged with murder "based on information and evidence that was gathered during the investigation, interviews of witnesses and Mr. Hunter."

Wednesday night police charged Hunter with murder in Acker's death.

Acker's vehicle was missing when detectives arrived and later spotted along South Boulevard near Remount Road.

The driver, later identified as Hunter, jumped and ran near Nations Ford Road. He was found and arrested.

He was charged with murder and several traffic related charges.

Family members said Acker and Hunter had been dating for a couple of months. They're wondering why she was killed.

According to police, officers responded to the house on October 21 for a domestic violence disturbance call. Police say no report filed in that case.

Relatives said Sarah Acker had been on dialysis for 11 years.  While she wasn't weak, family members said she wasn't very strong.

"If there was any physical altercation, she probably couldn't defend herself very well," said her ex-husband, Michael.

And her daughter added, "I'm angry. I'm angry because I know that she didn't deserve it. She wouldn't have been to really defend herself being she was sick a lot."

Police say her cause of death is unknown and will be determined by the Medical Examiner.

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call 704-432-TIPS and speak directly to a Homicide Unit Detective.  Detective Berman is the lead detective assigned to the case. The public can also call Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600 or visit the Crime Stoppers mobile app website at

Copyright 2015 WBTV. All rights reserved.