Federal prosecutors given more time in Lake Wylie couple killed - | WBTV Charlotte

Federal prosecutors given more time in Lake Wylie couple killed case

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) -

The federal case against those charged in killing a Lake Wylie couple continues to grow. 

Over a dozen defense lawyers and U.S. District Judge Max Cogburn learned Monday where the U.S. Attorney’s case stands after Doug and Debbie Londons’ deaths last October.

In federal court Monday, prosecutors, Elizabeth Greene and Don Gast explained they are making progress and could be filing a superseding indictment, which means new or more charges could be brought against those already named and there’s a possibility new people could be charged and facing the death penalty.

The Londons were found shot to death in their Tioga Road home on October 23, 2014.

Jamell Cureton is among 12 reputed members of the United Blood Nation charged with running a criminal enterprise in Charlotte.

A 51-page federal indictment says the couple was killed to keep the husband from testifying against three gang members who attempted to rob the Londons' mattress store last May. Cureton was reportedly wounded by Doug London during the attempt.

Nana Adoma allegedly watched the door of the business during the robbery, and was with Cureton when he showed up at a nearby hospital with a gun wound.

Jamel Cureton and the other defendants (Nana Yaw Adoma, David Fudge, Daquan Everett, Randall Hankins, Malcolm Hartley, Nehemijel Houston, Briana Johnson, Centrilia Leach, Ahkeem McDonald, Rahkeem Lee McDonald) were not in court Monday like they have been previously. 

But over a dozen appointed defense lawyers were in court to ask for more time since they have received some evidence and most of its been redacted. 

Prosecutor Greene explained evidence is available at the U.S. Attorney’s office to be viewed, but they are in the process of organizing what they have and what continues to be collected. 

Only Richard Culler the lawyer for Nana Adoma, who is accused of being involved in the armed robbery at Doug and Debbie London’s mattress store, argued to set a trial date. 

Judge Cogburn said for now he will keep all the defendants and their cases together because of the conspiracy charge. The judge granted a continuance and since the prosecutors say they need another 2 to 3 months to organize the evidence it’s likely no one will go to trial before 2016. 

The Londons’ son said waiting for the legal process can be difficult and he can either trust the legal system or be criminals like those people that killed his parents.

Copyright 2015 WBTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly