WBTV Saturday Morning got a sneak peek at what you can expect at the upcoming Green Chile Festival.
Chuy’s 27th annual Green Chile Festival will kick off Monday, August 17 and run thru Sunday, September 6 at Chuy’s Charlotte location at 4310 Sharon Rd Suite W01 at the Village at SouthPark.
Chuy’s puts the green chile center stage this year by capturing a “music festival” theme with a spirit of celebration and discovery.
Here is the recipe WBTV tried (and loved) Saturday morning:
Bacon wrapped Pork Relleno:
Marinated Al Pastor (Pork) 1 lbs
Jack Cheese, shredded 1 1/2 cup
Hatch Chile Peppers 12-15
Bacon, high quality, smoked, thick cut 2 per chile
Tomatillo 5 medium
Yellow onions, quartered 2 medium
Water 1/4 cup
Chile Arbol, processed Dash
Garlic, cloves 1 medium
Green Chiles, roasted and diced 1/2 medium
Salt 1 tsp
Water 1/2 cup
RELLENO FILLING PROCEDURE
1. On a grill or flattop pan cook your marinated Al Pastor meat at medium-high heat for 8-9 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure meat does not stick and cooks through evenly.
2. Spread cooked meat evenly on a baking sheet or tray, cover and let cool in refrigerator for 1 hour or until cold to the touch.
3. In a bowl over ice mix your cooled Al Pastor meat with the shredded Jack Cheese.
4. With a sharp knife cut a slit in your Green Chiles lengthwise on the chile, starting a 1/2 inch from the stem and stopping 1/2 inch from the tip. Clean the inside of the chile, removing unwanted pulp and seeds.
5. Stuff chiles with filling by holding in palm and filling chile through slit in the side until full, so that you can still close the slit after filling.
6. Using your first slice of bacon, start at stem and **tightly wrap and stretch bacon**, overlapping as you go. 1 slice of bacon will cover half of the chile.
7. Using the second slice, tightly wrap and stretch bacon, overlapping to the tip of the chile.
8. Place one toothpick in tip of Chile to secure bacon.
9. Place rellenos on a baking sheet or tray, cover with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator.
SALSA BRAVA PROCEDURE
1. Place tomatillos and onions on a sheet pan. Add 1/4 cup of water to keep moist.
2. Set oven to 450° - roast tomatillos and onions for 30 minutes, pull tray out and rotate, then continue roasting for additional 25 min.
3. In a sauce pan combine all remaining ingredients: Chile Arbol, Garlic Clove, roasted and diced Green Chiles, salt and 1/2 cup of water. Bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add roasted tomatillos and onions into the mixture and simmer for 4 minutes.
5. Transfer to a food processor or use blender to puree until smooth consistency.
RELLENO COOKING PROCEDURE
1. Remove the toothpicks from the rellenos.
2. In a heavy bottom pan with tall sides heat 1 1/2 inches of fry oil on medium heat (to 350 degrees).
3. When oil is hot add the rellenos and fry for 3-5 minutes or until bacon is golden brown and crisp on all sides. Remove rellenos from pan. Allow grease to drain.
Ladle 1/4 cup or more of Salsa Brava on each plate. Place 2 Rellenos on top of sauce. Serve with a drizzle of Salsa Crema (or Sour Cream), Pico de Gallo, Green Chile Rice and Refried Beans.