Presented by Mary Guin, Johnson & Wales University
Easy Homemade Chocolate Truffles
Dark Chocolate, at least 55% or higher. Chopped finely: 1
cup (7 oz)
Heavy Cream: 1/3 cup (3.5 oz)
Cocoa powder: 1-2 cups for rolling and coating
1) Finely chop dark chocolate and place in a bowl. Set aside.
2) Place heavy cream in microwave safe container and heat for 90-120 seconds. Heavy cream will bubble up so be sure to use a large enough container. Immediately pour hot cream over chopped chocolate. Do not stir.
3) Quickly cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 1 minute. (This step is giving the chocolate a head start at melting.)
4) After 1 minute, remove plastic wrap and gently begin to stir mixture until incorporated. Be sure not to over mix. (Overmixing will incorporate too much air and result in a grainy, less smooth truffle.) *Tip: If all chocolate piece are not melted at this point, place in microwave for 5-10 second increments, stirring in-between, until melted.
5)) Once mixture is completely incorporated, transfer to refrigerator and chill until semi-firm. About 20-40 minutes depending on refrigerator. (Chocolate should “give” when pressed with finger. You'll need the chocolate to be scoopable but able to hold its shape.)
6) Remove from refrigerator and using an ice cream or cookie scoop, portion chocolate onto plate or baking sheet. Shape and roll into spheres and chill for 45 minutes to an hour or until firm with no “give”.