More than 800 million people are actively using a messaging app called "WhatsApp". Recently a potentially hackable feature was discovered.
WBTV Cyber Expert Theresa Payton, CEO of Fortalice Solutions, explains what she's learned and shares a couple of steps you can take to protect yourself if you use this app.
Her advice follows:
Right now, here is what we know
1. The WhatsApp account could be hijacked without knowing your device's password
2. The hacker does not have to be sophisticated to snoop on you.
3. If the bad guy hacker knows your cell phone number and can touch your phone, they can get in
4. Even if your screen is locked, the hacker could answer your WhatsApp authentication request and set themselves up on another phone.
1. Go to your phone's security and privacy settings and disable Siri and Google talk when your lock screen is enabled
2. Keep your smart phone in your possession at all times
3. Don't publish your cell phone number on social media websites so the bad guys can't try to scoop up that information - treat your cell phone # like a social security number
Copyright 2015 WBTV. All Rights Reserved.
While most people learned of Monday’s terror attack near a New York City subway on their TV screens, Charlotte residents Kristen and Amanda Cella were visiting the city, and say they were there, on 42nd and Eighth Avenue, just minutes before the explosion.More >>
Jessica Boesmiller is a beautiful 37-year-old mom, married to a Charlotte/Cornelius firefighter, working as a healthy living director at the Lake Norman YMCA, about to give birth to twins.More >>
New York City police have identified the suspect in an explosion in a crowded subway corridor near the Port Authority bus terminal Monday morning as 27-year-old Akayed Ullah.More >>
Harding University High School football team came back to school Monday morning as champs. The school won their division championship football game in Winston-Salem on Saturday.More >>
Students, administrators, school board members, and city leaders came to Hibriten High School to cheer on the football team. The team won the state championship for their division on Saturday and the school held a pep rally for them on Monday to celebrate .More >>