Ernie's Smokehouse BBQ stopped by the WBTV studios to share their recipe for Jalapeno Slaw.
- 1 package pre-cut coleslaw with shredded cabbage and carrots
- 1 tomato, chopped and drained
- 2 green onions coarsely chopped green parts only
- 1 jalapeno pepper, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp. honey
- ½ tsp. salt
- Combine with slaw ingredients and let sit in refrigerator for 2 hours
- ¾ cup mayo
- 2 tbsp. each sugar and onion powder
- 1 tbsp. mustard powder
- 2 tsp. celery seed
- White vinegar
- Whisk ingredients and let sit in refrigerator for 1 hour, toss into slaw ingredients, serve immediately
- Use latex gloves when handling peppers.
- For more heat try hotter peppers such as serrano or fire breathers such as scotch bonnet or habanero.
- Make the dressings at least an hour ahead and refrigerate to allow the flavors to combine.