April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month. Blanca Cobb is a body language expert and she visited WBTV news Sunday Morning to talk about the warning signs of non-verbal cues that women and men should be aware of in various interpersonal situations. What follows are her thoughts and advice. Cobb says:
Unfortunately, there isn't a single body language sign that lets you know your date is a rapist. Most of the time you can get a sense if your date respects you by their conversations about and their views of women. Keep in mind that rape is about power and control not about sex. This means that most rapists will charm you to get you under their spell, which will make you easy prey.
Notice if your date talks respectfully about women. Here are some red flags:
1) He uses derogatory words or phrases, crude remarks to describe women and past lovers.
2) Talks about women as sex objects. Only giving pleasure. Taking sexual commands without regard to her pleasure.
Body Language signs that your date may not respect your wishes if you choose to get intimate with him:
1) He invades your personal space regardless if you ask him to stop or move away from him.
2) Touches you without permission. Or, doesn't respect when you ask him to stop or move away from him.
3) He grabs you a little too tight or rough and doesn't back off when you ask him to stop or move away from him.
It's important to keep in mind that if your date shows any of the above examples, it doesn't mean that he's going to rape you. These are warning signs that your date may not have a favorable view of women or see women as a vehicle to his pleasure and/or power. Unless you give expression permission that it's okay for him to touch you roughly and without your permission, then it's wrong for him to do otherwise.
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - For more information on Blanca, click here.