Unattended candle ignites Gastonia house fire - | WBTV Charlotte

Unattended candle ignites Gastonia house fire

(Source: Gastonia Fire Department) (Source: Gastonia Fire Department)
(Source: Gastonia Fire Department) (Source: Gastonia Fire Department)
(Source: Gastonia Fire Department) (Source: Gastonia Fire Department)
GASTONIA, NC (WBTV) -

An unattended candle was the cause of a Friday morning house fire in Gastonia, according to the Gastonia Fire Department. 

Firefighters arrived in the 400 block of E. Park Avenue around 3:45 a.m. Friday to find smoke and flames coming from the roof and rear of the home. Crews say it took about 10 minutes to put the fire out.

When the fire started, there was one person in the home. That person escaped but reportedly tried to extinguish the flames with a garden hose, and was taken to Caromont Regional Medical Center to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Officials estimate damage costs to be around $40,000. 

Copyright 2015 WBTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly