Family wants to remember life of infant who died in house fire - | WBTV Charlotte

Family wants to remember life of infant who died in house fire

Jacob Doolittle picture provided by the family Jacob Doolittle picture provided by the family
Jacob Doolittle and his parents.  Photo provided by the family. Jacob Doolittle and his parents. Photo provided by the family.
Fire scene on the morning of March 18, 2011 Fire scene on the morning of March 18, 2011

The family and friends of an infant who died in a house fire in East Spencer four years ago are hoping to keep the memory of the child alive.

Members of the family of Jacob Doolittle created a blog post to mark the fourth anniversary of the death of little Jacob. In the post, the family describes what happened on the morning of March 18, 2011.

The post can be viewed through this link: http://thelandfilldietchildrensacademy.blogspot.com/2015/03/jacob-edward-doolittle.html?m=1

The fire occurred just before 5 a.m. on that morning in a one-story house at 310 East Henderson Street. Joey Doolittle and his wife, Samantha Jo, were able to make it out of the house with minor burn injuries.

When the fire broke out that morning four years ago, Joey Doolittle immediately grabbed his 3-year-old son, Zachary, and ran across the street to his brother's house where Joey's cousin, Beth McBryde, also lives.

"We were in there sleeping and Joey just come barging, you know, came through to run through the house screaming that his house was on fire and his baby was in it and he couldn't get him out, and well, just came running out here and I called 911," said McBryde.

Joey Doolittle ran back to the burning house to rescue his younger child, but the flames were too intense.

"Both of them were trying their best to get their son out," McBryde said.

The first firefighters who arrived on the scene said the entire house was fully involved.

Both parents received burn injuries and were airlifted to Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center in Winston Salem. They were released from the hospital after being treated.

The 3-year-old child was not injured in the fire.

Officials told WBTV that Jacob Doolittle was recovered from the house around 11 a.m. The baby was found lying in his crib in a front bedroom.

Fire officials, however, were not able to find the family pit bull named "Socks."

The home was a total loss including a car in which the Doolittles purchased just a few weeks before the fire. They were renting the house and had just moved from Albemarle three weeks prior to the fire.

McBryde was visibly upset at the time while talking about the death of her cousin's son.

"He was my little butterball, my 'Aunt Bethy' baby, I love him to death, seen him daily," she said. "It's just a bad thing that happens and I'm hoping it was for a good reason."

Powered by Frankly