Police chase through several blocks results in seizure of gun, drugs, cash

Police chase through several blocks results in seizure of gun, drugs, cash

SALISBURY, NC (WBTV) - A police chase that included the suspect driving through stop signs and crossing busy Innes Street during the middle of the day on Thursday resulted in two arrests and the seizure of a gun, drugs, and cash.

According to a Salisbury Police report, Officer W. S. Gibson attempted to stop the driver of a 2000 Nissan Maxima near W. Lafayette and Jackson Streets at around 10:20 on Thursday morning.

The driver took off, driving through stop signs at several intersections, including crossing Innes Street at Craige Street. The chase continued for about a dozen blocks before the driver was unable to make a sharp turn near Williams Street. As he began to back up he was hit by the police car.

Four people were in the car. According to the report, a passenger in the back seat kept fidgeting with his hands, while the driver and another passenger held their hands out the window of the car and told the officer that they didn't have a weapon.

When the car was searched, 4.8 grams of marijuana were found. A marijuana cigarette was found in the back of the car, and another marijuana cigarette was found in a salad that one of the passengers was holding.

Bullets for a .357 handgun and a 9mm handgun were also found. A 9mm Jennings handgun was also found along the route of the chase. Police believe that gun was thrown from the car.

Police also seized a little more than $1000, a digital scale, and a marijuana grinder.

The driver, Dequan Chalk, 20, of Torbush Drive in E. Spencer, was charged with communicating threats for saying out loud that he wanted to "stick" the officer that had arrested him.

Chalk was also charged with carrying a concealed weapon, drug possession, possession of drug paraphernalia, fleeing to elude arrest, reckless driving, and driving without a license.

Bond was set at $30,000 for Chalk. He is now out of jail.

Claude Jay Boyd, III, 21, of Green Street in Salisbury, was charged with resisting police communicating threats, and drug possession.

According to the report Boyd made a comment threatening to harm the officer if he ever saw her without her badge.

Boyd was jailed and later released on $15,000 bond.