Rainey Road man, 90, who escaped house fire has died - | WBTV Charlotte

Rainey Road man, 90, who escaped house fire has died

SALISBURY, NC (WBTV) -

A 90 year old man who managed to escape his burning home on Rainey Road on Sunday has died, according to officials.

Gene Link died at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center where he was being treated for smoke inhalation. Link's home was damaged by fire on Sunday.

According to the report, Link's son Tony told investigators that his father called to tell him that his house was on fire, and that he was trying to put it out.  The fire had apparently started beneath a wood heater inside the house.

Tony Link helped his father escape from the fire.  Firefighters said when they arrived the house was engulfed in smoke and flames. 

Gene Link was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation and later taken to the hospital.

Link is the third person to die in a house fire since late October in Rowan County.

On October 28, Rebecca Phelps died in a fire at her Main Street home in China Grove.  The fire started near a couch.  In late December William P. Johnson, 55, died when food left on a stove sparked a fire that destroyed his camper on Conestoga Trail.

Investigators told WBTV that none of the homes had working smoke detectors.

Powered by Frankly