Recipe: Cranberry-Pecan Pie and Brown Butter Pumpkin Cookies by Pastry Chef Heidi Kabath of The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte
Sweet Dough Crust:
2 sticks + 1 Tablespoon
1 ½ cups
3 ½ cups
· In a standing mixer, cream the butter and salt until smooth.
· Add the vanilla and powdered sugar and combine on a low speed. Increase to second speed to continue creaming.
· Add the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping the bowl between each addition.
· Add half of the cake flour and mix on low speed until the dough is formed. Scrape the bowl.
· Add the remaining cake and almond flours and mix just until incorporated.
· Flatten the dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm.
· On a floured surface, roll out the dough until 1/8 inch thick.
· Using a rolling pin to assist, transfer the dough to a pie pan and gently guide the dough into the pan.
· Cover the dough with parchment paper and fill the pan with dry, uncooked rice or beans.
· Bake the crust at 350F for 15 minutes until pale and golden. The dough should no longer look wet.
Pecan Cranberry Pie Filling:
1 ½ cups
1 ½ cups
Light corn syrup
· In a small sauce pan, combine the dried cranberries, Grand Marnier, and water over low heat until all the liquid is absorbed into the cranberries.
· In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, Jack Daniels, sugar, and corn syrup until smooth.
· Transfer the cranberries to the bottom of the pie crust.
· Cover the cranberries with the pecan pieces.
· Slowly pour the liquid filling over the pecan pieces, allowing the liquid time to sink into the nuts and cranberries.
· Bake the pie at 350F for 20-30 minutes until the center of the pie has souffléd up.
· Allow to cool at room temperature before transferring to the refrigerator.