WBTV is on your side with information on the resources available during Domestic Violence Awareness Month.
Kathy Heatley, Counselor and Volunteer Coordinator with Safe Alliance, stopped by WBTV News Saturday Morning to share statistics and information on an upcoming walk.
Steps for Change is a march being held next Wednesday, October 22nd at The Square in uptown Charlotte. Hundreds of people are expected to wear purple and march from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. as a public stand against domestic violence. This Walk is organized by the Mecklenburg County District Attorney's Office – there is a $10 registration fee – and all proceeds go directly to the Safe Alliance domestic violence shelter.
The Safe Alliance Domestic Violence Hotline is 704 332 2513
What should a women do if she is in a violent relationship?
• Call our domestic violence hotline for guidance/information/learn about what's involved with an intake
• Develop a Safety Plan:
Safety planning for someone involved in an abusive relationship is a necessary and important step. Although you may not have control over your partner's violence, you do have a choice about how to respond to him/her and how to best get yourself and your children to safety.
Your safety plan should involve the following:
• Safety during a violent incident
• Safety when preparing to leave
• Safety in your own residence
• Safety with a Protective Order
• Safety on the job and in public
• Safety and drug or alcohol use
• Safety and your emotional health
• Items to take when leaving