CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Pan Roasted Charleston Barrel Fish
squash puree and grape-peanut brown butter
By Got to Be NC Competition Dining Series' Fire in the City Competitor
Chef Jon Fortes of Mimosa Grill
4 each (6 oz) portions Barrel Fish, skinless
2 T Oil, blended
1/2 cup Red grapes, seedless, halved
1/2 cup Peanuts, roasted unsalted
2 t Thyme, chopped, no stem
1 t Parsley, chopped
1 each Lemon, juiced
2 each Autumn Squash, roasted
1/2 cup Cream
2 t Sherry Vinegar
6 T Butter
As needed Salt and pepper
1. Season each fillet of barrel fish with salt and pepper and set aside.
2. After roasting the squash, remove skin and puree while still hot with cream, 2 T butter, sherry vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. In a hot sauté pan add blended oil and sear barrel fish on the top side first for 4 minutes until golden brown, add 1 T butter and 1 t thyme, flip over and continue cooking over medium heat until finished. Baste the fish with oil, thyme and butter mixture.
4. Remove fish from this pan and pat the pan dry, add remaining butter and cook over medium until golden brown, add peanuts and toast for 30 seconds or so, add lemon juice, grapes remaining thyme and season to taste.
5. To plate place squash puree in center of plate, barrel fish offset on top of puree and top with sauce.