Grilling expert, Chef Glenn Lyman stopped by WBTV News Saturday Morning to share a tailgating recipe and other tips.
Baja Turkey Sliders with Agent #89 Guacamole
Lean and mean, small but mighty turkey sliders with cheddar and Baltimore Ravens Wide Receiver, Steve Smith Sr. style guacamole.
• 1 1/2 pounds fresh ground turkey
• 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt or to taste
• 1 tablespoon G|Cooks Fiesta Blast Seasoning
• 1 cup prepared Guacamole (recipe follows)
• 8 potato rolls or other slider buns
• 2 slices of cheddar jack cheese, cut into squares to fit sliders
• Nonstick cooking spray
Preheat grill for direct medium-high heat.
Form the turkey into 3 oz. patties. Season burgers evenly with kosher salt and Fiesta Blast Seasoning and coat with cooking spray. Place on the grill and cook for 2 minutes on each side, topping with cheese on the second side to melt.
Build your slider with a smear of guacamole and hot melty burger patty.
• Use a grill pan - it will keep the food from falling through the cooking grate.
• After you marinate steaks, pat them dry on both sides. Wet steaks don't sear; they steam and only turn them once or twice so they stay juicy.
• Have a working meat thermometer on hand so you don't have to guess on grilling time.
• A gas or charcoal grill. Each one has its advantages: gas is easy to light, control, and clean and charcoal is a lot more work, but it gives food a smokiness that gas can never quite imitate. And of course, whatever grill you use, the grates should be reasonably clean.