Officials: Charlotte Fire Captain resigns, admitted stealing med - | WBTV Charlotte

Officials: Charlotte Fire Captain resigns, admitted stealing meds from patient during call


A Captain with the Charlotte Fire Department is off the job, after admitting he stole prescription drugs from a patient while assisting Medic with a call.

Charlie David Morris Jr, 49, has been charged with misdemeanor larceny.

On Tuesday, August 26, Morris was assisting Medic with the transportation of a disabled patient at a home on the 9300 block of Broken Pine Lane. Investigators said that while crews were inside the home assisting the patient, Morris took seven Dilaudid prescription pills that belonged to the man.

After the scene was cleared, the family of the patient contacted Medic about the missing medication. Medic then called the fire department.

Police and fire officials launched investigations.

Fire Chief Jon Hannan said his department requested written statements from the firefighters on the truck that answered the call.

"We arranged drug tests and polygraphs for the next day they returned to work" Chief Hannan said. "The next day during the investigation the captain on that truck admitted to taking those drugs - that was Wednesday. On Thursday, the captain was in my office and he resigned in lieu of termination."

Fire officials said Morris had been with the department for 22 years, and was "very remorseful."

Chief Hannan said the case hurts the entire department.

"We violated a sacred trust. People trust us. That's how we're able to function. People let us come in their homes, their most private areas and take care of their children. I personally drove out and apologized to this family yesterday" Chief Hannan said. "I wanted to do that. That was my duty to do that. It is hard for me to comprehend that one of our people did this."

Fire officials said prior to hiring firefighters, the department does drug tests, background investigations, and polygraph tests.

Chief Hannan said the department also conducts random drug tests on one third {1/3} of the fire department every year.

Morris turned himself in to the Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Office Friday afternoon, and was released on a promise to appear in court.

Police say the incident is still under investigation.

Copyright 2014 WBTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly