Restaurant dumpster smell sparks evacuation at Union Co. Health - | WBTV Charlotte

Restaurant dumpster smell sparks evacuation at Union Co. Health Department

UNION COUNTY, NC (WBTV) -

A strong smell from a nearby restaurant dumpster sparked an evacuation at the Union County Health Department, resulting in the building being closed for the day.

According to county officials, several people were sent to the hospital after feeling ill on Thursday morning.

Initially it was thought there was a possible gas leak in the building, but officials say the problem actually came after the smell from nearby restaurant dumpster got into the building's ventilation system.

Officials say all employees at the Union County Health Department were sent home for the day after the building was evacuated.

They believe it will take the day to flush the problem through the ventilation system.

Services offered at the Health Department, including food stamps, Medicaid and one-on-one client services will not be available on Thursday.

Officials say the Department of Social Services, also housed in the building, can screen child protective services calls by phone from another location.

Copyright 2014 WBTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly