Officials: Man falls asleep with lit cigarette, house catches fi - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Officials: Man falls asleep with lit cigarette, house catches fire

Posted: Updated:
KANNAPOLIS, NC (WBTV) -

A cigarette is to blame for a fire that caused an estimated $50,000 in damage.

It happened on Walnut Street in Kannapolis around 10:30 PM Thursday night.

Authorities say the homeowner fell asleep while holding a cigarette. He was taken to hospital for precautionary reasons, but is expected to be okay.

Investigators say the fire caused extensive damage to the back of the home.

The Red Cross is helping the family who lived there.

Copyright 2014 WBTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow