CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Polka Dot Bake Shop
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Makes 24 cupcakes
Cake Flour 3-1/2 Cups
Cocoa Powder ¼ Cup
Baking Soda 1-1/2 teaspoons
Baking Powder 1-1/2 teaspoons
Salt ¼ teaspoon
Buttermilk 1-1/2 Cups
White Vinegar 1 tablespoon
Dark Vanilla 1-1/2 teaspoons
Red Food Coloring 3 Tablespoons
Granulated Sugar 2-1/4 Cups
Unsalted Butter 6 ounces
Oil 2 Tablespoons
Preheat Oven to 325*F
1) In a mixer with a paddle attachment add the sugar and butter.
2) Cream the sugar and butter until it comes away from the bowl and light in color and scrape down the bowl.
3) Add eggs in 3 additions, beating until well blended. Scrape bowl the bowl.
4) Add half of the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
5) Whisk together the buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla, food coloring, and oil.
6) Gradually add in half of the liquid mixture and mix to combine. Scrape down the bowl.
7) Do steps 5 & 6 one more time.
8) Scrape down the bowl really well and make sure there are no lumps of butter/sugar.
9) Fill up the baking cups about ¾ of the way full.
10 ) Bake for 12 minutes, rotate, bake for another 6-7 minutes.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Cream cheese, room temp 1 (8oz) package
Unsalted Butter, room temperature ½ Cup (1 stick)
Powdered Sugar – 1 pound
Dark vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
1) With a bowl and mixer beat together the cream cheese and butter. Scrape down the bowl.
2) Gradually add the powdered sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
3) Beat in the vanilla. Place the frosting in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.