SALISBURY, NC (WBTV) - It's one of the most popular events in Salisbury and Rowan County, and on Thursday the community learned which homes would be featured for the 2014 OctoberTour.
Historic Salisbury Foundation (HSF) announces the 39th Annual OctoberTour, October 11 & 12, 2014, showcasing 11 private homes plus the 1820 Dr. Josephus Hall House. OctoberTour is one of the oldest and largest fall house tours in the South.
Over the past thirty-eight years the tour has featured approximately 153 private historic homes and sites throughout the community.
In addition to the southern portion of the West Square Historic District, Salisbury's first historic district, the 39th Annual OctoberTour will highlight houses in the Fulton Heights Neighborhood, many of which have never been on OctoberTour. Fulton Heights developed in the early twentieth century as an outgrowth of nationwide planning efforts such as the City Beautiful Movement.
The well laid out grid patterned streets and the large park area will enhance the atmosphere of this year's event. With eleven private residences and the Hall House Museum, a rich variety of architectural styles and interior designs will be offered.
HSF will offer a more flexible format of tour this year, to allow guests to go through houses at their own pace and as their schedule allows.
2014 OctoberTour Sites:
1924 Dr. F. B. Spencer House - 528 South Fulton Street
Built by Charlotte architect, Louis H. Asbury (1877-1975), this traditional, four-bedroom Italian Foursquare home influenced the style of houses in the Fulton Heights area. In order to build this house, Dr. F.B. Spencer moved another structure that occupied the lot. There are four working fireplaces – three on the first floor and one above.
1905 Heilig-Raney House - 603 South Fulton Street
This two story brick four square, influenced by the Colonial Revival style, was built in 1920 by Dr. Herman G. Heilig, who built the house on the adjacent corner of Fulton Street in 1905. The house was designed for Heilig by prominent Charlotte architect, Martin E. Boyer (1893-1970). Boyer attended Carnegie Tech (now Carnegie-Mellon University) in Pittsburgh, where he was trained in the Beaux Arts tradition. During World War I he served as a naval architect and in World War II was a lieutenant colonel with the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers. Boyer practiced architecture in Charlotte for more than 50 years and mostly designed homes for wealthy patrons.
1901 Bean-Cathey House - 722 South Fulton Street
This rectangular shaped home contains a hipped slate roof and full façade porch supported by tall wooden columns. Built as a rental property by Mary Bean, the Bean-Cathey House has been through many twists and turns. In 1913, the home was moved forward and rotated so that the side porch became what is now the front porch and a kitchen was added. The Catheys were the maternal grandparents of Salisbury native, Senator Elizabeth Dole.
1879 McCubbins-Rouser House - 727 South Fulton Street
James Samuel McCubbins, prominent Salisbury businessman and director of Salisbury Savings Bank, built this handsome two story Italianate dwelling in 1879. In the 1920s, Rouser added the expansive Colonial Revival front porch with dentil molding and groups of Tuscan columns. Later he built the apartments that flank the home – one in 1936, the other in 1950. The home's current owners have continued perfecting their architectural enhancement by adding period chandeliers and restoring massive pocket doors.
1905 M.L. Trexler House - 103 Mitchell Avenue
This two-story frame Queen Anne/Colonial Revival home was one of the very first houses built in the new Fulton-Heights Street Car Subdivision. When the current owners first stepped foot in their house the entire structure had been gutted, and it was in complete disrepair. Doors were found in the back yard, the stairwell had fallen over and the floors were deteriorating. Details like period-appropriate mantels have been returned to the home's seven fireplaces, including colorful Cambridge Tile surrounds. The current owners of the M.L. Trexler House received a 2014 Preservation Award from HSF for their hard work and attention to detail.
1925 J.R. Bias House - 120 Mitchell Avenue
Maggie and James R. Bias, owner of the Victor Service Station on South Main Street, were the first occupants of this quintessential Craftsman bungalow. The one-story, cross-gable form of this brick home features a spacious wrap-around porch with truncated battered columns on tall brick piers. The porch gables are further enhanced with a playful pattern of horizontal planks and hipped blocking.
1906 T.A. Ludwick House - 200 Mitchell Avenue
The current owners are upgrading the building to allow for four up-scale, two bedroom apartments. This structure was used as a multi-family housing prior to 1935, which was common in the Fulton-Heights area. Each of the four apartments will include modernized kitchens and bathrooms. The front porch and exterior board/pebble dash will be restored to their original condition. HSF presents the T.A. Ludwick House as this year's rehabilitation-in-progress house.
1908 Reams-Hambley House - 612 Mitchell Avenue
The two-story hip-roofed frame Reams-Hambley House is one of the earlier houses in Fulton Heights. This striking home has a central dormer, triple-grouped windows in the center of the second level and an outstanding full façade hipped porch supported by round columns. Sidney C. Reams, president of Salisbury Bank and Trust and part of Reams-Jones Furniture Company, owned this home until around 1920.
1925 P.H. Wallenborn House - 628 Mitchell Avenue
This impressive one and a half story hipped-roof Colonial Revival home was constructed as an investment in 1915 by W.M.E. McWhirter, who lived in the Reams-Hambly House at 612 Mitchell Avenue. He later sold the house to its first occupant, Peter A. Wallenborn, who was president of Salisbury Motor Co. and vice-president of Salisbury Country Club. The home exhibits large hipped dormers on the front and sides, entry with half-sidelights, and windows with multi-paned headers. However, it is the local granite veneer that Wallenborn added in the mid-1920s that sets this home apart from others in the Fulton Heights Neighborhood.
1930 Jacob W. Miller House - 618 Wiley Avenue
This stately two-story hipped brick Colonial Revival house with gabled entry stoop and porte-cochere was built by Jacob W. Miller, the Vice President of Raney-Cline Motor Company. The grand front porch is supported by heavy brick columns and the windows are attractively adorned with decorative granite accents.
1925 E.F. Shumaker House - 309 Wiley Avenue
This bungalow has classic American Craftsman features including a low pitched roof with wide eaves, exposed rafter tails and decorative knee braces. It is one and a half stories with gabled front and rear dormers, and a deep porch with tapering columns over brick pillars. The current owners have refinished the oak and pine flooring and decorative woodwork, and added antique lighting. The owner's collection of period arts and crafts furniture, art and decorative items are displayed throughout the home.
The 1820 Dr. Josephus W. Hall House and Kitchen at 226 South Jackson Street will also be open during the tour. The Hall House grounds and adjacent portion of West Bank Street will feature food vendors and entertainment both days.
For detailed tour information visit Historic Salisbury Foundation's OctoberTour website: www.OctoberTour.com. Advance Tour tickets are $20 for HSF members and may be purchased at our office located at 215 South Depot Street, Salisbury. Non-member advance tickets are $25 per person and can be purchased online through www.OctoberTour.com. In early September, tickets will be available for purchase from local merchants throughout Rowan County. Ticket locations will be announced on the website. Tickets on the days of the tour will be $30. Discounted, pre-event tickets are offered for groups of 10 or more.