Massive flooding causes caskets to float away from graves - | WBTV Charlotte

Massive flooding causes caskets to float away from graves

(Source: 9Reports) (Source: 9Reports)
BELLE ROSE, LA (WAFB) -

Heavy rains in south Louisiana Wednesday caused about a dozen caskets to float away from their graves.

The scene unfolded in a cemetery in Assumption Parish, about 50 miles south of Baton Rouge, in the town of Belle Rose.

Loved ones of people buried there rushed to the cemetery and prevented them from floating away using sandbags to weigh them down. Others opted to move the caskets to higher ground.

Parts of that parish received nearly ten inches of rainfall.

Copyright 2014 WAFB. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Lockdown lifted at north Charlotte elementary school

    Lockdown lifted at north Charlotte elementary school

    Tuesday, January 23 2018 3:07 PM EST2018-01-23 20:07:00 GMT
    WBTV graphicWBTV graphic

    An elementary school in north Charlotte was placed on lockdown Tuesday due to police activity in the area.  Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools says Croft Community Elementary was placed on lockdown. Details surrounding what the police activity involved were not released.  Croft Community Elementary is located off of Hucks Road.  Copyright 2018 WBTV. All rights reserved. 

    More >>

    An elementary school in north Charlotte was placed on lockdown Tuesday due to police activity in the area.  Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools says Croft Community Elementary was placed on lockdown. Details surrounding what the police activity involved were not released.  Croft Community Elementary is located off of Hucks Road.  Copyright 2018 WBTV. All rights reserved. 

    More >>
  • Former hotel manager files lawsuit against town of Boone

    Former hotel manager files lawsuit against town of Boone

    Tuesday, January 23 2018 2:57 PM EST2018-01-23 19:57:49 GMT
    Damon Mallatere, the former manager of the Best Western in Boone, on right, leaves the courtroom. (Robert Lahser | Charlotte Observer)Damon Mallatere, the former manager of the Best Western in Boone, on right, leaves the courtroom. (Robert Lahser | Charlotte Observer)

    A former Boone hotel operator is filing a lawsuit accusing the town or Boone of malicious prosecution and other offenses in a deadly carbon monoxide case.  Barry Damon Mallatere, former manager of the Best Western hotel in Boone, is seeking damages for claims that his constitutional rights were maliciously initiated by the town.  Mallatere says he has not been able to find gainful employment in his field after the public accusations he fa...

    More >>

    A former Boone hotel operator is filing a lawsuit accusing the town or Boone of malicious prosecution and other offenses in a deadly carbon monoxide case.  Barry Damon Mallatere, former manager of the Best Western hotel in Boone, is seeking damages for claims that his constitutional rights were maliciously initiated by the town.  Mallatere says he has not been able to find gainful employment in his field after the public accusations he fa...

    More >>
  • Family of Rock Hill boy who died at Best Western hotel reaches high-priced settlement

    Family of Rock Hill boy who died at Best Western hotel reaches high-priced settlement

    Monday, January 22 2018 4:10 PM EST2018-01-22 21:10:36 GMT
    Jeffrey Williams’ fingerprint is contained on a silver heart necklace that his mother, Jeannie Williams wears. Jeffrey died in early June 2013 from carbon monoxide poisoning while staying at a Best Western in Boone. (Jeff Siner | The Charlotte Observer)Jeffrey Williams’ fingerprint is contained on a silver heart necklace that his mother, Jeannie Williams wears. Jeffrey died in early June 2013 from carbon monoxide poisoning while staying at a Best Western in Boone. (Jeff Siner | The Charlotte Observer)

    It was only after Jeffrey was found dead in the bed that authorities discovered a carbon monoxide leak in the swimming pool water-heating system on the floor below.

    More >>

    It was only after Jeffrey was found dead in the bed that authorities discovered a carbon monoxide leak in the swimming pool water-heating system on the floor below.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly