Floor of burned home collapses moments after firefighters evacua - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Floor of burned home collapses moments after firefighters evacuate

Posted: Updated:
Source: Gastonia Fire Department Source: Gastonia Fire Department
GASTONIA, NC (WBTV) -

Several firefighters narrowly avoided injury after the floor of a burned home collapsed moments after crews evacuated the area.

According to the Gastonia Fire Department, crews were called to a home along the 2500-block of Georgemont Court around 10:37 a.m. Monday morning.

Crews say smoke was showing from the rear of a one-story home. When they went inside, firefighters came across heavy fire in the basement.

Firefighters were able to get the flames out after about ten minutes and then began to look around the house.

"During the search of the home, the structural integrity of the floor in a bedroom directly over the basement was questioned," fire officials told WBTV. "An immediate evacuation was given by incident command."

Just as all firefighters evacuated the structure, the floor of the bedroom collapsed in to the basement of the home. No firefighters were injured. 

An estimated $200,000 in damages was caused by the fire, but the home is considered a total loss.

Two people were inside when the fire started, but were able to get out safely.

The cause of the fire was due to an electrical issue with a golf cart being plugged in for charging in the basement of the home.

Copyright 2014 WBTV. All right reserved.

Powered by WorldNow