Dryer malfunction blamed for apartment fire that displaced Gasto - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Dryer malfunction blamed for apartment fire that displaced Gastonia family

Posted: Updated:
Photo courtesy of the Gastonia Fire Department Photo courtesy of the Gastonia Fire Department
GASTONIA, NC (WBTV) -

A family was displaced from their Gastonia apartment after it caught fire on Monday.

Neighbors called in the fire when they saw smoke coming from the apartment on Jondon Lane, according to the Gastonia Fire Department.

It took 20 firefighters about 10 minutes to locate and extinguish a fire in a clothes dryer.

There was no one home at the time of the fire.

There was an estimated $25,000 in damages to the apartment and contents, firefighters say.

The cause of the fire was determined to be a malfunction in the dryer.

The family was displaced and is receiving assistance from the Red Cross.

Copyright 2014 WBTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow