UFC backs testosterone replacement therapy ban - | WBTV Charlotte

UFC backs testosterone replacement therapy ban

LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -

Nevada has taken a step toward ensuring a level playing field in combat sports, including the UFC.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission on Thursday unanimously voted to ban the use of testosterone replacement therapy among the state's athletes.

"TRTs are supplemental testosterone treatment, which some believe gives an edge and advantage to a fighter. Most of the time, when an individual needs TRT, it's because of previous steroid use," said Francisco Aguilar with the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

The move comes two months before a scheduled fight between Chris Weidman and Vitor Belfort in Las Vegas. Belfort had been approved for testosterone replacement therapy use in his last three fights.

UFC President Dana White on Thursday said he supports the commission's decision, issuing the following statement:

"The Ultimate Fighting Championship fully supports the decision made today by the Nevada State Athletic Commission regarding the immediate termination of therapeutic use exemptions (TUE) for testosterone replacement therapy. We believe our athletes should compete based on their natural abilities and on an even playing field. We also intend to honor this ruling in international markets where, due to a lack of governing bodies, the UFC oversee regulatory efforts for our live events. We encourage all athletic commissions to adopt this ruling."

Copyright 2014 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Person wanted for breaking into Hickory church

    Person wanted for breaking into Hickory church

    Thursday, February 22 2018 11:25 AM EST2018-02-22 16:25:21 GMT
    Credit: Hickory policeCredit: Hickory police
    Credit: Hickory policeCredit: Hickory police

    Officers are trying to determine whether the same person is responsible for breaking into the Corinth Reformed United Church on 16th Avenue NW on Tuesday. 

    More >>

    Officers are trying to determine whether the same person is responsible for breaking into the Corinth Reformed United Church on 16th Avenue NW on Tuesday. 

    More >>
  • Flu kills over 300 people in the Carolinas this season

    Flu kills over 300 people in the Carolinas this season

    Thursday, February 22 2018 11:13 AM EST2018-02-22 16:13:28 GMT
    WBTV graphicWBTV graphic
    WBTV graphicWBTV graphic

    Twenty-three more people have died from the flu in South Carolina, bringing the death toll for the 2017-18 season to 151 in the state, according to the Associated Press. 

    More >>

    Twenty-three more people have died from the flu in South Carolina, bringing the death toll for the 2017-18 season to 151 in the state, according to the Associated Press. 

    More >>
  • Charlotte hospital giant plans to slash labor costs across the region, documents show

    Charlotte hospital giant plans to slash labor costs across the region, documents show

    Thursday, February 22 2018 11:13 AM EST2018-02-22 16:13:04 GMT
    Atrium Health, the medical giant formerly known as Carolinas HealthCare System, is looking to slash labor costs across its Charlotte-area hospitals as part of broad efficiency push. (Observer file photo)Atrium Health, the medical giant formerly known as Carolinas HealthCare System, is looking to slash labor costs across its Charlotte-area hospitals as part of broad efficiency push. (Observer file photo)
    Atrium Health, the medical giant formerly known as Carolinas HealthCare System, is looking to slash labor costs across its Charlotte-area hospitals as part of broad efficiency push. (Observer file photo)Atrium Health, the medical giant formerly known as Carolinas HealthCare System, is looking to slash labor costs across its Charlotte-area hospitals as part of broad efficiency push. (Observer file photo)

    Responding to Observer questions about the plans, the medical giant formerly known as Carolinas HealthCare System said that 90 people have been laid off since November when job cuts from the initiative began.

    More >>

    Responding to Observer questions about the plans, the medical giant formerly known as Carolinas HealthCare System said that 90 people have been laid off since November when job cuts from the initiative began.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly