Mom 'instantly sick' after finding underage nudes on Instagram - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Mom 'instantly sick' after finding underage nudes on Instagram

Posted: Updated:
ROWAN COUNTY, NC (WBTV) -

There is outrage in Rowan County after inappropriate pictures of underage girls from several high schools and a middle school appeared on social networking site, Instagram.

Search warrants found that three accounts had been set up and were encouraging middle and high school students to post nude pictures of others, and apparently, some did just that.

WBTV's David Whisenant spoke to one of the parents who sounded the alarm about the page

"Anything that has to do with our bodies and sex we're afraid of it," said Rod Kerr. "It is the most personal, most intimate part of our lives and yet the most powerful part of our life."

Kerr is a license family counselor and a minister at First Baptist Church in Salisbury. 

He says parents need to talk to their children about the dangers of using social media to share sexually explicit messages and pictures.

"These kids, 13 or 14, they may be playing around with their friends right now - taking pictures over shower curtains and bathrooms and things like that - and passing them on to a friend and passing them on to another friend," said Kerr. "You don't know where that's going to end up, you don't know who is going to have that."

And that's what Landis Police are trying to figure out. They are working to learn who set up the account.

WBTV's David Whisenant spoke to one mother who can take at least some of the credit for getting it taken down. 

The woman has three daughters and said as soon as she saw the site with its pictures and invitation to post more, she knew something had to be done.

"I was instantly sick to my stomach," she told WBTV. "That was about 6 o'clock and I was up until about midnight begging people and drawing attention to it. To say 'somebody please, you know, let's start the war on this,' because it was instant just sick."

Other parents and students WBTV spoke with on Wednesday night agreed.

"I didn't like it at all, you have to be a really bad person to like that, if you want to ruin somebody's life like that."

Kerr says that isn't far from the truth, simply because once the picture is taken and shared, it takes on a life of its own.

"You lose control once you have that picture taken, once you send that picture you don't have control anymore," Kerr told WBTV. "You don't where it is, you don't know who has it."

According to search warrants from Landis Police, the combined accounts reportedly had images of young girls from Kannapolis Middle, Carson High, South Rowan High, East Rowan High and West Rowan High schools.

Rowan-Salisbury School superintendent Dr. Lynn Moody sent an email message to district principals encouraging them to remind students, parents, and teachers to be proactive about cyber safety.

WEB EXTRA: Visit www.commonsensemedia.org for cyber safety information

School officials say they will send home a copy of "Net Cetera: Chatting with Kids About Being Online" with every student within the next couple of weeks.

Last year, the district purchased an online educational digital platform called "Gaggle." Dr. Moody says students will be required to go through a cyber safety course, which will be available next week.

Copyright 2014 WBTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow